Friday, May 15, 2009

Coming back to Taipei (15/5/09)

Leaving the resort, we arrived at Lu-Ye Height. Here, we can see the whole view of the valley where the tribe’s people work and live as there are houses, different kinds of plants and trees.


After that, we went to see Bunun Tribe and watched their performances.

There was a Bunun tribe singer who can sing so well, her voice is very clear, high-pitch and strong. We had a group picture with her:

We found a dead super huge beetle and took a picture with it:


I bought some souvenirs here because they look very pretty and a lot are hand-made. After having lunch, we went to see Kuanfu sugar plant and Amei Tribe museum. Each of the tribe has different costume which is very unique.


I enjoyed visiting different tribes because their language and culture is very different from the majority. In Vietnam, we have over 54 different tribes. They are known as ethnic minorities which are mostly the hill tribes of center and northern Vietnam. I notice some similarities from the costume and language.


We got back to the hotel at around 8:30pm. I was a little bit tired but I told my new Taiwanese friends that I am going hang out with them on Friday night. We decided to meet at the train station near the hotel because I don’t have a phone and it is really crowd at the Main Station. We went clubbing at Pasoul, I heard that it is really famous in Taipei among the teenagers. In the States, I am under drinking age but in Taiwan and most of other Asian countries, I am okay to go.


When being with my new Taiwanese friends at Pasoul, I had a lot of fun. We played drinking games with dices when you have to guess the total number of the dices and have to drink when your predicted number is higher than the actual one. I had a chance to practice saying numbers in Chinese as I always love learning numbers in different languages. I know numbers in Vietnamese, English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Hindi, Thai and Japanese. Those new friends also taught me some other Chinese words and phrases such as: what are you doing, where are you going, I’m hungry, it’s cold….

There are some differences between American and Taiwanese clubs. In American, I went to 18up club that I have been to, we don’t have to book the table before coming in but here, if you don’t book the table in the morning, you will not have the table which means you can’t enter the club. I also see a difference in the way Taiwanese people dance in club and the bartenders in Pasoul is so fast and skillful in mixing drinks. The price is 800NT for girls and 1000NT for guys which covers the table and drinks. This is all you can drink so I think the price is reasonable.

I had a great time with them in the club. The club closes at 4am and I was going to get a taxi back to the hotel as the MRT starts working again at 6am. But I see my Taiwanese friends were going to wait for the train to go home so I decided to wait with them. Not only my friends but a lot of the teenagers were waiting too. They all sit outside the club on the stairs and some were in McDonald’s waiting like us. It was my first time seeing these teenagers at my age or older waiting outside for the bus. I asked them how much it costs for the taxi to go back to the hotel. They told me it is about 700NT and you have to pay extra because it is late at night and it only cost 25NT to go by the MRT. This is a huge difference between cab and the MRT. This 700NT is a lot to them and they don’t want to spend this on taxi, which does make sense to me. Therefore, I waited with them for another 2 hours.

This is the rice with sausage I bought on the street to try because I heard that a lot of people like it


We chatted a lot to make time flies faster. I told them what I have learned about American culture as an international student living there. They asked me whether I like to live in Vietnam or in Michigan, and my answer was that I prefer to live in my home country. I also told them that I really love Taipei and I was so glad to have good friends like them. This is going to be the last time I see them before leaving Taipei, but for sure, I will go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment